The Sculptural Ensemble of Constantin Brâncuși at Târgu Jiu is an homage to the Romanian heroes of the First World War. The ensemble comprises three sculptures: the Table of Silence, the Gate of the Kiss and the Column of the Infinite. The monument was commissioned by the National League of Gorj Women to honor those soldiers who had defended Târgu Jiu in 1916 from the forces of the Central Powers.  The Endless Column (often it is called the Column of Infinite) symbolizes the "Infinite Sacrifice" of the Romanian soldiers and it is considered by Sydnei Geist the top point of the modern Art. The Endless Column stacks 17 rhomboidal modules, with a half-unit at the top. The incomplete top unit is thought to be the element that expresses the concept of the infinite. All 17 rhomboidal modules accumulate a total height of 29.3 m. The site was listed in the 1996 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund. Two other pieces constitute the ensemble. The Table of Silence is a circular stone table surrounded by twelve hourglass-seats, which symbolize the time. The Table represents the moment before the battle on which the combatants were going to participate. Nevertheless, the seats are not located close to the edges of the table. The Gate of the Kiss, of Banpotoc travertine (marble), features a kiss motif on the gate pillars. The transition to an other life occurs through the Gate of Kiss. The Ensemble has been inaugurated on 27 October 1938. In the epoch called "socialist Realism", Brâncuși has been challenged as one of the exponents of the cosmopolitan bourgeois formalism. Just in 1964 Brâncuși has been "rediscovered" in Romania as a national genius and, consequently, the Ensemble of Târgu Jiu has been restored, after a long period of degradation.